Saturday, October 18, 2008

Motivation

I have been wondering why I started this blog, what has driven me to do this. I thought it was simply to share my silly thoughts with more then my parents, but I figured out it's more than that. I was talking to a guy in my class about it the other day, when I realized what it was. I have always loved to write, but up until now I haven't had much time to write what I wanted to write. As a college student, I always had papers to write for one class or another, so with the one exception of my mission, my desire to write was channeled into writing research papers, or analyzing literature for class. And that also explains why my journal from my mission is so extensive, I needed to write, so I did it that way. I really enjoy it.

The funny thing is, I didn't realize it for awhile. I've been feeling a bit disconnected lately, but couldn't figure out why. And then when Elder Uchtdorf spoke in Women's Conference, it was lke a light went on in my head. He talked about the desire to create, and how it was something we all should do, whether at a small scale or a larger scale. I'm afraid I missed the rest of the talk, because I realized that my writing was my version of creating, and I hadn't been doing it for awhile except in some emails to my parents occasionally at work. So I started thinking about stories I was writing and ways to revise them, and other things I could do. Before I knew it the talk was over. I was sitting with a friend of mine, and I had half considered hanging out with her that night after the meeting, but it was like I was afire. I told her, "Well, see you tomorrow, I'm going to go home and create." And I did. I grabbed my computer as soon as I got home, and started working on a short story I had started months ago, but hadn't hardly touched since then. And it felt good. It's good to be back. That was one good talk, it got me to go and do something immediately, and keep on doing it.

So this blog is an extension of that, me having a chance to create and have it seen. My stories will take more work before I want people to read them, but I feel good about this part of it. I hope it is enjoyable to read. Please leave comments, I'd like to know what you all think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, but will remove any unnecessarily negative remarks, so keep it civil and clean.