Tuesday, August 14, 2012

After the birth

 Mike's grandparents had come out for Jeremy's wedding, and we were hoping they'd get to see Aiden before they left, but didn't think it was likely, since their flight left at 1 yesterday.  But as soon as they told me I was dilated to a 9 at 7 am, one of my first thoughts was, "Grandpa and Grandma will get to see him!"  My mother-in-law went to get them as soon as she heard he was born, so they were at the hospital before he was an hour old.
 Then Mason came that afternoon to see his baby brother.  We had planned out to try to help him accept Aiden.  When he came, I made a point of not holding Aiden, and he came and climbed on my bed and cuddled for a moment.  Then we brought Aiden over, and he lay on his lap, supported by me and Mason's big book.

Mason was fascinated by Aiden.  He looked at him like, "Wow, what's that?" and said, "Baby" when we told him this was our baby.  It was like he realized, "oh this is what Mommy has been talking about?"  He kept grabbing my hand to get me to uncover Aiden so he could look at him.  We have a Cabbage Patch doll at home wrapped up in the same kind of blanket the hospital uses, and I think Mason recognized that and wanted to see what was underneath.  But Aiden was asleep the whole time, so he got bored pretty quickly.  We gave him a present "from the baby" of a few matchbox cars, and he spent the rest of the time on my bed playing with the cars.  When Aiden woke up, we tried to get his attention again but by then he was bored with the fuss over the baby, and wanted to play with his cars. 

When it was time to leave, I gave him a goodbye hug, and he grabbed my hand and tried to tow me out the door.  He let his auntie pick him up and carry him out though without too much of a fuss though.  He does love his aunties, and at least he got to see me.  He'll be coming over again tonight for the pizza party the hospital is throwing us.  It's part of the extra package we paid for so that Mike would get meals as well as me.  This hospital doesn't automatically feed the spouse, and they don't have a setup to pay just for meals for him yet, so we get all sorts of little extras when we buy it, like a bathrobe and a candy bag, and a "special" meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, but will remove any unnecessarily negative remarks, so keep it civil and clean.