Sunday, July 22, 2012

Humbling experience

This afternoon after church, Mike dropped Mason and I off at home and went back for a meeting.  I fed Mason and myself and put him down for a nap, and after he was asleep went to take one myself, since last night was one of those nights when I just couldn't sleep.  About an hour later, I heard Mike come in, and a couple minutes later Mason started to cry.  I wasn't inclined to do anything about it, because Mike was there, but when the crying didn't stop, I decided to get up and check if everything was ok.

Mason was lying in bed crying, obviously still tired, and Mike was kneeling beside the bed, trying to calm him down.  Nothing he was doing seemed to be helping.  But the moment I went in the room and Mason saw me, he calmed down.  I knelt down, gave him his water, and kissed him on the cheek, as his eyes closed, and he was asleep in moments.

I made a joke to Mike about how he didn't have the magic touch, but when I went to lie back down, I was thinking about it.  It's humbling, and a little scary that I can be that important in someone's life, that just seeing me can calm him down. 

Don't get me wrong, he loves his daddy, but there are some things that he wants Mommy to do.  He always comes to wake me up first thing in the morning, and he tries to drag me out of bed each morning to get his breakfast.  On the days Mike is home and tries to help, it makes him angry, he wants Mommy.  Not entirely sure why. 

Daddy is his playmate.  Mason gets excited the moment he hears the key in the door.  And he loves to play hide and seek or tickle monster with Daddy.  He also loves to slam the door in Daddy's face as part of the bedtime routine.  After we have family prayer and Daddy says goodnight, he leaves the room and turns the light off, and Mommy sings to Mason for a minute.  While Mommy sings, Mason goes to the door, waits till Daddy comes to it, and then slams it shut, giggling madly.  Then he goes right down to bed.

And he loves to walk with both Mommy and Daddy. We've been taking walks at the mall to try to get the baby to come, and he likes to walk in between both of us, holding both our hands.  He is very insistent on it, actually, especially when we go on the escalators.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about all this for the last few hours and wanted to share some of it.  I hope that the new baby coming won't throw too much of a wrench in his life, and he will understand that Mommy and Daddy still love him, even though he will have to share us with someone else.

1 comment:

  1. He'll love the baby and be happy to have him around. You'll just have to make an effort to give him love when baby is sleeping...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, but will remove any unnecessarily negative remarks, so keep it civil and clean.