Friday, January 9, 2009

Can't we all just get along?

I was looking at the news, and I saw some article about how some rapper helped take down a guy on a place who was trying to open a door and claiming he had a bomb. It was a nice story for once, I thought. Then I get to the comments.

Apparently, some guy had made a comment about what had happened that was slightly incorrect or something, I don't know for sure because by the time I got to it, it had been deleted. But the comments made afterwards were awful! And they just kept going! At the time I write this, there were 1823 comments (for an article posted today!), and while I did not read everyone of them, of course, as I skipped through to get to the last page, since I was curious, (and there were 91 pages altogether), as I skimmed, most of them referred back to this comment the first guy made. And some of them were very hateful! Racial epithets, swearing (although the swear words were bleeped out with "profanity"), attacking the guys culture (which, how do they know for sure what his culture is?), intelligence, even manhood. Since when is this ok? Is it because it is so anonymous? Not cool! Why do we have to attack those we disagree with? Can't we agree to disagree, or at least disagree with decorum?

2 comments:

  1. That's one thing that's always surprised me once I actually reached adulthood: how people who have been adults longer than me have acted so childish towards the silliest things.

    It's one reason I can't stand politics, everybody is blaming everybody else and acting like teenagers trying to win for the "most liked" slot in the yearbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that there are a lot of angry people in the world today. The only way they feel good about themselves is by 'proving' they are better than the next person...so they argue and put others down...all the art of debate is lost. Isn't this just like the scripture about the second coming when 'the love of men will wax cold'? And also the scripture about satan? "he will rage in the hearts of men"? I'm paraphrasing, but you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, but will remove any unnecessarily negative remarks, so keep it civil and clean.